Sunday, March 28, 2010

How'd You Make it Through?

This was the last week in the Beatitudes, and it was executed well by Pastor Ira. The Scripture discussed was Matthew 5:10. Short of the long, good for you if you're getting beat up spiritually and physically because you're doing the right thing--you got some big stuff coming your way! Yippy!!! (you better be feeling that sarcasm because it's thick)

I get it, we're all gonna go through hard times. It's part of life. My question is, do you wanna be the one who survived whatever hardships by "the hair of your chiny-chin-chin?" I don't. The things I'm currently living through can be liken to that of my training for my 1/2 marathon. First of all, it's a journey--something I decided to embark upon because of careful consideration and an education choice or the results of foolishness and poor living. Either way, I am on a path that I must complete. I decided at the beginning of my training that I was going to do my best, push what my body could take, and understand that I couldn't "break" myself before the big day because then all would be lost. My goal on the day of the big run is to finish. That's it. I wanna finish big and strong and under my own power...no huffing -n- puffing, passing out, collapsing across the line...a finish that is evidence of me being in control of myself.

Now, let's look at the ironic parallel to my personal/spiritual life. Each day is a new day of "training"--wake up, do some confession, ask for some wisdom and direction, armor up, breakfast, gym/beach/zoo/aquarium/etc, back home, and finish out the day. Some days are so much easier than others. Then there are days where I am so beat up from the day before that I just skip my basics and wear myself thin. Just like the days my knees hurt, my heart aches. Similar to the days I feel strong because I did my strength training, I feel like my spirit could kick some major devil butt.

As I write this, I'm amazed at the correlation God is showing me--boy can I be blonde at times! I digress. Anyway, Pastor Ira said it bluntly, "It's a matter of how you go through your hard times and persecution." Who cares if you make it to the end if you're dragging yourself, bludgeoned and bloody? What kind of testimony is that to the power that God has in all circumstances? Yeah, there are going to be those days where you'll have to seclude yourself and submerge yourself totally into God's Word and His loving arms; other days will come where your support system will be more crucial than ever to help you fight the bandits and robbers--even still other days where you'll walk tall, singing songs of praise, and shinning with the love of God and the brightness of the Holy Spirit. We're given more than the ability to endure such things with a spirit of grace, compassion, and most importantly, love.

Struggles and persecutions aren't what we seek out. No one wants to get beat up, but God's gonna get good out of it. If Christ went through it, so will we. We're gonna do it knowing that there is a light waiting for us at the end of the tunnel. Knowing that as long as we remain righteous in our walk, humble in our spirit, kind in our words, and loving in our hearts there are riches there for us beyond whatever we could imagine or fathom.

My question to you: how are you making it through?

No comments:

Post a Comment