Monday, March 22, 2010

Blessed Are the Peacemakers...

Not only being fantastic because it was my birthday, but yesterday was an awesome day at Atlantic Shores. Our worship team and choir were on point in leading songs focused on the name of Jesus and all it includes. I, as usual, was moved to tears thanks to the stirring of the Holy Spirit. What can I say, some people dance, some lift their hands...I cry. The music was perfect as it lead to Pastor Kyle's opening "Yahweh Shalom," one of the holy names for God. God is peace.

He then went on to discuss the 4 Characteristics of a Peacemaker (Matt 5:9):

1. has made peace with God
2. lead others to make peace with God
3. help others make peace with others
4. endeavor to find a point of agreement with other people

Seems simple enough, and it should be. The fourth characteristic is one that I am going to be working diligently on. As Pastor Kyle spoke, I got to thinking that I don't ever really put in the effort to cultivate a relationship that the "common ground/interest" isn't overly apparent. I probably won't argue/communicate/interact with you, but I'm not going out of my way to seek a territory where we can unite. That is unacceptable as a follower of Christ and one aspect of my walk that I will be striving to change. There is always a point of agreement and a common ground. Jesus was relational--not superficial. I will become like Christ...it will merely be a continual work in progress.

The other huge point that Pastor drove home was that righteousness and peace are always hand in hand; can't have the true version without its counterpart present. In other words, can't have one without the other (James 3:17 & Ps 85:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment